Joshua Kilbourn – Day 8

Joshua Kilbourn- Day 8

Yesterday was one of the busiest (and tiring) days we’ve had. After a breakfast of cereal, we all packed our things and headed to the farmer’s market. There were many things to buy there. Fruits and vegetables, vendors, paintings, and many other cool things. I bought some delicious peach cake-pie, which was absolutely amazing. We all had a lot of fun there.
We all got to see the Alaska pipeline too. It starts in Prudhoe Bay and ends in Valdez. The pipeline stretches out for a total of 380 miles. We were able to see all the tools and gadgets used in the pipeline and how it is used. It was very big and very cool to see.
Late last night, we also got to run the Midnight Sun Run 10K (6.2 miles). There were over 1500 people. Before the race, there was much to do. Many people chose to dress up, and they had a costume party. Some of the finalists included a mosquito and repellant, a fish and a fisherman, and some minions from the movie “Despicable Me”. We even got a shout out from the announcer and did our cheer in front of all the racers.
Before the race, I felt very excited but a little nervous. My goal was to run the whole thing, and get a decent time and place. Before you knew it, the race started and we were off. All throughout the race, people would be out on their lawns and cheering all the racers on. Some of them even passed out water as we ran by. When there was one mile to go, I started to get tired. I still continued on and didn’t stop. After what seemed like forever, I finally saw the finish line. I gave it the rest I had and crossed the line. My final time: 56:32. I felt very proud of myself, but boy was I TIRED! I felt very proud of myself and everyone else, because we all did a good job.
After the run, we went to a midnight baseball game. We arrived at about the fifth inning, but the Panners were winning. The game was fun, but I was glad I was finally able to sit down! The game finished, and the Panners won 13-6 (Alaska has very good baseball teams).
We finally arrived at the campsite around 1:30 AM. I was ready to crash into my bed, I was so tired. Luckily, we got to sleep in.